Re: MLM 5.0 on AIX 4.2.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: MLM 5.0 on AIX 4.2.1
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@TKG.COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 18:36:21 +0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
"Whitehead, Neil" wrote:

> Anthony,
>
> We use MLM extensively, albeit it's with NetView v4 and MLM v2.3
> (eek!...upgrade in progress!).
> We've got an 800 Branch Network with 8 MLMs installed - 21000 objects in
> the database. Each MLM is configured for pinging and Datacollection of
> devices in 100 Branches each - all different subnets.
>
> Each MLM also has been configured to detect the failure of a nominated
> 'partner' so if the partner dies the survivor will automatically
> reconfigure to assume responsibility for that area as well as its own
> (not data collection though!)
>
> It works well, however MLM v2 will not automatically discover and look
> after devices outside of its own subnet. You must manually configure
> this - Use the smconfig application and checkout the 'Status Monitor
> Table'
>
> Neil Whitehead (x22808)
> IT Services (Telecoms)
> The Royal Bank of Scotland
> Tel: 0131-523 2808

We use MLM's with Netview version 5.1 (testing 5.1.1 now).  You an set
up distribution through the collection facility. Check out the netmon
man pages and the MLM documentation specifics.  The -C flag to netmon
allows you to set a collection prefix to assign nodes in the collection
to the MLM's.  The collection name must be the MLM Prefix specified by
the -C flag prepended to the MLM name.  You can do a "failover" to
another MLM by changing the collection rules of the backup and primary
MLM collections in response to the Mid-Level Manager down trap.

--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer@tkg.com
The Kernel Group              | Distributed Systems Management