Re: Manage IPMAPs

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Manage IPMAPs
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@TKG.COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 05:27:12 +0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Carlo,

A seedfile is for netmon,  the deamon that discovers and checks status of the
discovered nodes and interfaces.  It updates the object databases, not the map
database(s).

It sounds like you want to create separate maps.  You could do this.  When
multiple interfaces are discovered, they are placed onto the map under the
object.  Networks are also discovered, and segments within those noetworks are
created.  The router symbol should also be in one segment per network interface
it has.

You may want to start out by creating a single map with everything in it, and
then when it is finished, make multiple copies of the map, and edit each one by
deleting or hiding symbols to end up with a view you would like.

HOWEVER, multiple maps are a real pain to maintain.  Suppose, for example, you
need to delete a router from the database.  You will need to delete this object
from every map before it is deleted from the database.   If you have the object
hidden in some maps, it will be difficult to locate all of them.   Also,
collections are based on object database fields and in any particular map the
collection may not make sense based on the information in that map.

I would recommend trying to find a way to get by with one map. You will be much
better off.

--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer@tkg.com
The Kernel Group              | Distributed Systems Management