Re: Community Strings

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Community Strings
From: Joe Fernandez <jfernand@KARDINIA.COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 22:45:48 +1100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
As far as I know, you cannot ask NV to store more than one read community
string for the same node.
Through Options-->SNMP Configuration you can set community strings for
default, IP node address wildcarded groups, collections, and individual
nodes. You can use xnmsnmpconf to import settings from a text file and then
to clear the cached values (see the man page for the syntax).
At 11:25 AM 3/3/99 -0600, you wrote:
>     Hi All,
>
>     We have had an emergency change requiring SNMP community strings on
>     the routers be changed. Some will be rebooted immediately, others may
>     still use the existing community string for weeks. At the same time,
>     our NetView expert is unavailable to help...the question is this:
>
>     Can we edit a configuration text file and add multiple community
>     strings so that systems with the old and new values will be
>     browseable? If so, where is this file, and do we need to recycle any
>     NV daemons as a result?
>
>     We are running 5.1 under AIX.
>
>     Thanks in advance
>

>     DVO