Re: Checksum

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Checksum
From: Greg Hubbard <Greg.Hubbard@PREDICTIVE.COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 13:22:48 -0600
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Are you sure?  I've ended up with partially transferred files when using FTP.

If I remember right, FTP simply blasts a file down a TCP connection.  If
the connection is closed early, the file is closed "as is" by some
implementations.

I'm not willing to assume that an application is reliable just because it
uses TCP underneath.  Nor is an application unreliable because it uses UDP
(like NFS, for instance).

Greg Hubbard
Predictive Systems