Re: Checksum

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Checksum
From: Nicaud Phil <pnicaud@WOOLWORTHS.COM.AU>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 09:02:27 +1100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi Al

FTP uses TCP/IP which guaranties transport error free or the Data is
retransmitted. FTP opens a session to the remote site and closes it when the
entire file has been sent. The receiver should then take the transmitted
file from its temp buffer and move it the its required directory.

TFTP is similar but it is not session based. It uses UDP/IP which means that
there are no-retransmissions on loss/erroneous data. TFTP however places a
checksum on the entire file to ensure successful transfer. The receiver
removes the checksum once the file has been successfully received. Failure
of the transfer will cause the entire transfer to be restarted.

Both methods should provide a reliable file transfer. The most common cause
for problems is when a binary file is transferred in ASCII Mode.

I have no idea what Netview use to transfer files

To do external data verification and if both systems are Unix/Dos systems,
you can use many of the checksum programs such as Solaris "cksum" or even
wrap the file within tar or gzip. "cksum will calculate the file CRC on both
systems, tar does it own checksum.

I hope this helps

Phil

CAUTION: This Message may contain confidential information intended
only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any
use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is
prohibited. If you received this message in error please notify
Mail Administrators immediately. Any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily
reflect the views of Woolworths Ltd.