MVS snmpd configuration and MIBS

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: MVS snmpd configuration and MIBS
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@TKG.COM>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 20:38:17 +0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello all,

Has anyone been successful in querying snmp information from the
mainframe using TME10 Netview for Unix?

I am trying to set up MVS OS390 Version 2.5 to allow Netview on an
RS/6000 to get snmp information from the mainframe IP stacks.  We are
now using /etc/snmpd.conf to configure traps and access, but for some
reason, when we walk the mib from the Netview server, we only get 40
lines or so before we reach the end of the MIB tree!!  We can't get
anything except system and snmp and a few ibm MIBS.

This snmpd.conf file is a different beast than I am used to in UNIX, but
I am pretty sure we have it set up properly, and we should be able to
see the whole mib tree.

Another problem we have is loading the v1 mib file "mvstcpip.mib".
Apparently there should be another mib file somewhere that defines the
needed parent "mvsSNMPagent".   I searched the usual places for MIBs,
but am unable to find it.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer@tkg.com
The Kernel Group              | Distributed Systems Management