Re: Netview Upgrade

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview Upgrade
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 20:07:23 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Yes, you can copy the seedfile and the MibExpr.conf.  But ovsnmp.conf is of
no use to you. The actual data is kept in ovsnmp.conf_db and what you see
in ovsnmp.conf is only derivative from that.  It is maintained as a
repository for those third party apps which read that file rather use the
published API's.  You MAY be able to copy the ovsnmp.conf_db over from 4.1
and run xnmsnmpconf (see the man page) to dump a list of what's in it to
another file, and later upload that into the current 5.1 one.  I think the
internal structure of the db  may have changed because you can now set
values by collections.  As for snmpCol.conf, I don't know.

I think you'd be better off de-installing 5.1 altogether and trying Ray
Schafer's procedure for creating the backup.  There was never any testing
done except for the standard migration procedure.  That's works.  Anything
else you do is unsupported and untried.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Jeanie Cham <yccham@NCS.COM.SG> on 03/05/99 08:19:43 PM