Re: loadhosts command help

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: loadhosts command help
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@TKG.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:03:30 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
James Shanks wrote:

> There have been problems with loadhosts in both V.5.0 and V5.1.  I beleive
> they are all fixed in 5.1.1 but efixes are available for the 5.1 release by
> calling Support

Actually,  I don't think this one is fixed in 5.1.1.  I have this exact bug
symptom.  We installed 5.1.1 in the test lab and it was NOT fixed.  We'll open
a PMR if we haven't already...  Our invocation was slightly different:

loadhosts -a -p -m 255.255.255.0  <_EOF_
153.2.50.201  dvlp2.mvs.us.ups.com
153.2.51.201  dvlp2.mvs.us.ups.com
... (2 more interfaces)
_EOF_

The error is the same.  The first interface and the node are added, the second
interface results only in a "hint" for the interface, but the TopM Interface
Count (for the node) is only 1.  We have to delete the hint with ovtopofix.

At first I thought it was a timing issue - since loadhost reports that the
"requested object is not known" to the topology.  However there is a flag
(-s??) to loadhosts that tells it to sleep for a period in between adding.
Even if I set it for a long time, it doesn't work, so it's not that.

BTW,  John,  as a general rule, I would advise that you don't  feed a whole
bunch of nodes to loadhosts at the same time.  It never has handled it very
well.

--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer@tkg.com
The Kernel Group              | Distributed Systems Management