FW: Running Netview with Reflection X

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: FW: Running Netview with Reflection X
From: "Hawes, Geoff" <geoff.hawes@EMAIL.AIRBORNE.COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:06:19 -0800
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Chris; Phil

I had this problem, and solved it by using my Solaris 2.6
server as a font server. Although Tivoli support apparently
loaded and ran the Reflections 7.1 ok, I found the problem
existed in 6.1 -7.2 Below is a copy of what I sent to
Tivoli support.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I put a sniffer on the segment and traced the problem to an
X dialog that indicated a problem with fonts. It was obscure
as nothing indicated that this was a big enough issue to
stop the session. I noted unrecognised OPCODE messages
in the dialog between the host and client, particularly
during the exchange of info on fonts, exactly at the point when
the EUI session failed.
Anyway Reflections does not appear to do font substitutions
as it implies. The check box for 'allow windows font substitution'
was enabled, so we were not looking in that area. With WRQ
support help, we discovered that we need to use the Solaris
2.6 platform as a font server.

Solution;
Replace the default font path in the settings configuration
(in V6.1. In V7.2 its called subdirectories and font servers) to;
' tcp/(netview font server name):7100 '

Curious the font problem had no effect on using Reflections
in the Solaris CDE.
There must be some font that OVw needs to display maps.

I hope this helps.

Geoff Hawes
Airborne Express

geoff.hawes@email.airborne.com