Re: NetView 5.1 doesn't receive SNMP traps?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView 5.1 doesn't receive SNMP traps?
From: Weiya Cai <weiya_cai@COMPUWARE.COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 13:47:01 -0800
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
James,

Yes, there is another 3rd party's trapd listenning to
udp port#162. nv trapd works after I shutdown the 3rd party
trapd.

NV installation script can be enhanced by checking service
entries of tcp/162, and udp/162 at /etc/services.
NV 5.1 installation doesn't check the existing udp/162 entry
but appends following lines:

nvtrapd-trap    162/tcp   # NetView trapd monitor trap port
nvtrapd-trap    162/udp   # NetView trapd monitor trap port

which generates double entries.

I think that a warning with reference to the doc on NV trapd coexisting
with other trap services is a better solution.

Regards,

   Weiya