Re: NetView 5.1 doesn't receive SNMP traps?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView 5.1 doesn't receive SNMP traps?
From: benvain <benvain@BSD.TM.FR>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 17:04:35 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Sanjeev,

1. Every trap sent by an SNMP object of your network will be written
into trapd.log,
except if its Event Category (refer to Options/Event Configuration/Trap
Customization: SNMP... by the GUI) is "Don't log or display".

2. Each trap is uniquely characterized by a group of three identifiers :
    Enterprise id + Generic + Specific.
   An important thing to know is :
   When the enterprise id of a trap doesn't exist in the enterprise list
of Event configuration panel, NetView looks for the same Generic into
the upper level[s] of
Enterprise id.
   For example, assume you have an SNMP node from 1.3.6.1.4.1.1999 which
sends a trap for Link down (Generic = 2) and that there is no such E.id
in your Event conf. list. Then you will see in your Event Display
Workspace the message :
"Agent Interface Down (linkDown Trap) enterprise:xxxx (1.3.6.1.4.1.1999)
args(arg #)"
which message is the one defined for Generic 2 of Enterprise id
1.3.6.1.4.1.
   That's why you have to customize your Event configuration with
informations provided with your SNMP nodes.

Cordially.

Bernard.

Bernard Envain
CIC-Banque Scalbert-Dupont