Re: Using the Apache server of Netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Using the Apache server of Netview
From: "Owens, Blaine C" <bowens@EASTMAN.COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:19:36 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Well, I see others are frustrated with this "feature" of the NetView Apache
Server. I wound up installing a separate standard Apache server in order to
implement our security requirements. I have also considered turning off the
NetView Apache server and serving everything from the standard Apache
server.

The NetView server is for most users (I would think) more than just NetView.
It might be desirable to apply different security to different applications
such as Nways, Optivity, etc. The server running NetView is logically going
to be the source of much of your network documentation, reports, charts,
etc. It is ridiculous to assume that management, operations, general users,
etc. all have the same security requirements for all applications.
Personally I do not like the security design of the NetView Apache server. I
think it would be a great inhancement to the product if it would at least
honor standard Apache security conventions should the user choose to
implement them.

Blaine Owens
Eastman Chemical Company
Email - bowens@eastman.com