Re: amending values in a netview snmp event

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: amending values in a netview snmp event
From: "Rafter, Marcel A." <marcel.rafter@NZ.UNISYS.COM>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 18:41:08 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
The problem is with inoculan and arcserve(cheyenne products) snmp traps for
netware.
These traps come into netview with the information in hex.
I questioned this group about this before and you replied with:
        "I'll bet if you translate the hex, in addition to the printable
ASCII
        characters, there are non-printable ones, like pads of x'00'.   When
        NetView gets a trap which says it is sending ASCII
        but contains non-printable stuff, it "assumes" that what it is
getting is
        something like a MAC address and displays it all in hex, because it
has no
        idea which characters are significant and which aren't.  There is
nothing
        you can do about it, except to notify the vendor who is sending the
        malformed trap and ask him to change it.  He should agree, since
sending
        non-printable characters in an octet string is a violation of SNMP
        protocol.

        James Shanks
        Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support"
Which is spot on.
I have contacted the vendor about this, they have past the problem
onto their development team, but I think thats all I'll hear from them for
some time.
In the meantime I have to finish this project.
If possible I would like netview to convert the data from hex to ascii
before forwarding the event to the TEC server.
Ideas?

Thanks heaps
Marcel.