Re: Availability for Ciscos/Integration with NV automated actions

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Availability for Ciscos/Integration with NV automated actions
From: "Prokott, Joe" <Joe.Prokott@WESTGROUP.COM>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 17:18:13 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Thanks for all the suggestions, but this is not exactly what I am looking
for.

I am aware of configuring/retrieving RMON and MIB values, but I am trying to
get notification info. specific to our environment into the Cisco by using
Cisco commands (if such commands exist).

I am trying to get into the router configuration values such as e-mail
addresses or pager numbers, etc... directly into the Ciscos.  The analyst
would need to configure this themselves when they configure a new router.  I
am thinking that NetView could then query for this info and place it into
its database for future automatic actions (i.e., scripts executed by
NetView).  The concept we are trying to achieve here is creating a process
and distributing the management of specific devices back to the analyst that
is configuring the device.  Our network management group would define the
process and it would be expected for the analysts to follow this process in
order to assure availability and proper notification for outages or specific
events.

I do not think Cisco has such config. statements available in their IOS, but
it would be nice if they did.  Nonetheless, I am wondering if anyone else
has tried to do something similar to this by using other Cisco
user-definable MIB variables such as the "locIfDescr" MIB, etc...?

Thanks in advance,

Joe Prokott - West Group
Network Architect
610 Opperman Drive