Re: Availability for Ciscos/Integration with NV automated actions

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Availability for Ciscos/Integration with NV automated actions
From: "Prokott, Joe" <Joe.Prokott@WESTGROUP.COM>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 08:37:07 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Yes, while we could use the "sysContact" field, we would need to parse each
sysContact and assume (and pray) that each "sysContact" MIB field followed
some assumed format with delimiters, etc...  If it did not, some automated
actions may not occur.

However, if Cisco had separate commands to configure each parameter we would
like to set (e.g., "snmp-server notification e-mail
<email_address@XXXX.com>", "snmp-server notification pager <pager
notification address>", etc....).

It just seems like the Ciscos (and I assume other network vendors) do not
offer enough of these config. statements in their IOS to allow analysts to
get additional management fields configured locally on the router that
enterprise management systems could use for notification, etc...

I am reluctant an implementing such a method if the management system needs
to parse through a single MIB field, expecting a specific format,
delimiters, etc...  to retrieve the necessary info. that the analyst needs
to configure.  It would be better if Cisco provided additional commands that
would propagate this type of info into separate enterprise MIB variables
that NetView could then put into the database as separate and discrete
entities (i.e., no parsing!).

Joe Prokott - West Group
Network Architect
610 Opperman Drive