Re: Nways for AIX with traffic monitor

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Nways for AIX with traffic monitor
From: James Kellock <jkelloc@IBM.NET>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 00:21:04 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Trafficmon is a very complex application.  You must first create the
list of collection points (RMON probes) from which you will collect the
historical data in a local (Trafficmon proprietary) database.  Depending
on the polling frequency and number of probes, and number of nodes, you
can easily collect 10s of MBs daily.

You can't just turn it on.  Make a list of the probes, then define the
collection points, after collection has begun, you can segment the
collected data into user-defined categories (department, location,
traffic type, etc).  The collected data will be represented in
enterprise-wide "conversation" patterns that will let you isolate
traffic patterns on your network.  You will receive documentation when
you receive your permanent license, and there is Acrobat (pdf)
documentation on-line. The Acrobat reader is included in
/usr/LANReMon/doc, or you can download a copy from Adobe for free.