Re: Netview Security Question...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview Security Question...
From: Gord Michaels <gord_michaels@HOTMAIL.COM>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 09:46:35 PDT
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Thanks Jon.

But the strange thing is that I get the Netview GUI (without the Security
prompt) but I do not have an of my SrAdmin privilages ??

Any ideas what would cause this ??

Gord.

From: Jon Needes <jon.needes@ATS.UK.EDS.COM>
To: NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 16:57:30 +0100

Gord Michaels wrote:

> Hello All.
>
> I am running Netview V5.1 with Security turned ON.
>
> Sometimes when I log into Netview under my Netview ID (belongs to Srdmin
> group) I do not get a security prompt but still get the Netview GUI
anyway.

> Can anyone explain this ??
>
> Gord.

You can run nvauth and log in without running NetView. If you do not logout
before you close nvauth you can subsequently run the NetView GUI without
logging in again. When you exit from NetView it will log you out. You might
have run nvauth in order to run nvsec_admin for example and then left
yourself
logged in. I do not know of a way to kill the NetView GUI without it
logging
you out but you may have found one.

We have used the fact that you can run nvauth and pass it a userid and
password in the command line to write our own security front end which
records
who has logged in for our own application among other things.

Jon Needes
EDS, Hook, UK