Netview 5.1, AIX 4.3.2 and 3COM Transcend 5.0

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Netview 5.1, AIX 4.3.2 and 3COM Transcend 5.0
From: Frederic Mottiat <frederic_mottiat@BE.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 16:33:21 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello,

Seems I run into problems with our current setup.
We have been delivered 3COM Transcend 5.0, stating it would run in our
environment (AIX 4.3.2 and Netview V5.1).
Well, after reading the release notes we see that Transcend will not
integrate itself into Netview V5 and has to be installed as standalone.
patch should be made available by 3COM to enable the integration.

Seems also that AIX 4.3.2 is not supported yet, only AIX 4.2.1.
3COM Transcend has thus been installed in standalone mode, without any
errors reported, but it does not seems functionnal :
- if we try to start Transcend Central from the command line, the Java
applet is started but we get errors saying the server is not running
- if we try to start the VLAN manager via the web it says the VLAN server
is not running
Verifying the status of the servers with the 3COM diagnostic application
says all servers are running OK.
Stopping and restarting the offending servers does not improve the
situation.

Moreover, I have found back a post in an internal Netview forum saying :
"Transcend Enterprice Manager 5.0 cannot be installed on the same machine
running Netview 5.1 - believe it or not ! - problem is that Transcend uses
its own snmpd - and therefore netview willnot start - in addition transcend
stoppes netview if it find it installed on the same machine. I have an call
open at 3Com on this - but no info back till now . Also the documentation
say's it can be installed as standalone - even that is not true for now
(5.0)."

Does anyone of you have suffered from the same problems ?
Anyone has more info on the current integration status of TEM with Netview
?

In advance, thank you

Frederic

Frederic Mottiat - IBM Global Services (PSS-SMNS)
Tivoli Implementation & Services