Re: 8272 in a wrong way

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: 8272 in a wrong way
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 23:21:19 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
The 8272,  if it has two IP addresses, should appear on the top level map,
with connections to two different subnet symbols - unless both are on the same
subnet.  Then, in the subnet submap (double click on the network symbol) it
should be connected to a segment representing the particular type of interface
protoco on that subnet. The bus symbol is the default used for interfaces which
return, via snmp, a type of 'other' (0) as well as several other types of
interfaces.
So you might have two different segment symbols in the same subnet, or in two
different subnets, with the same device on them. For example one fiddi and one
tokenring. I've probably confused you, but my point was just that the choice
of symbol used for a segment is based on the integer returned by the device
for a query of the ifType, and that the bus symbol does not always mean
ethernet.

In 5.1.1 there is new control over this in the /usr/OV/conf/C/if_to_sym file.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on 05/10/99

Roberto Greco <roberto_greco@IT.IBM.COM> on 05/10/99 09:19:00 AM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>