Re: about DNS

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: about DNS
From: Dimitri Setti <Dimitri.Setti@FCCRT.IT>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 14:30:12 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I don't want start DNS on my network station,  I wish only to use not host file
on my station
but DNS on another station....
in my /etc I don't see any netsvc.conf, shall I create it manually?
....instead, there is resolve.conf...

bye

dimitri

Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM> on 11/05/99 11.58.22

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>

To:   NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU
cc:    (bcc: Dimitri Setti/fc0105/fccrt)

Are you asking how to start using DNS on a system that did not use
it previously? Use smitty tcpip, and fill in the address of the dns and
the domain under minumum, and start using dns under further
configuration. If this has already been set up, there will be a
/etc/resolv.conf file. In that case, perhaps it is being overruled by a
/etc/netsvc.conf that contains "hosts=local". In that case, change it
to hosts=local,bind  so it will search the /etc/hosts file first, and then
search dns.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on 05/11/99

Dimitri Setti <Dimitri.Setti@FCCRT.IT> on 05/11/99 07:30:43 AM