Re: events showing up late in control desk (nvcorrd, nvserverd)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: events showing up late in control desk (nvcorrd, nvserverd)
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 09:28:04 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
In the absence of anything else, processing delays between trapd and the
events window are often the result of DNS problems.  That's where I'd start
looking first.  All it would take would be that someone changes DNS to go
to yet some other server if a name cannot be resolved, and that server has
poor performance, and you could get hung out to dry awaitng name
resolution.  Names are resolved by trapd, nvcorrd, nvserverd, and by
nvevents itself.

Do your nslookups work well?  Pick a few traps from trapd.log and see what
happens.  Any delay at the command line will be felt more seriously by the
daemons.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Brook, Bryan S" <bryan.s.brook@LMCO.COM> on 05/10/99 01:32:38 PM