Re: Ruleset Suggestions

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Ruleset Suggestions
From: "Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles@INTEL.COM>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 09:58:30 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Jan,
There is an easier way to do this... (i.e. the script that determines
the next-hop) assuming all of your nodes have snmp agents running on them.

a)  Setup a loop that goes thru the list of all your servers, and returns
    the "next-hop" address.
    Use the following snmpget command.  This gets you the next-hop address
    of the server (which should be the router interface in most cases).

snmpget -c public node.xxx.com .1.3.6.1.2.1.4.21.1.7.0.0.0.0

b)  Store this in a file with the node, because obviously you can't get
    the next-hop if the server is down.

    The file-format is as follows:
        node_a  next-hop-a
        node_b  next-hop-b

c)  When you get a node-down, goto the file and get the next-hop address.

d)  Ping the next-hop.

e)  If the next-hop is down... assume the server is up.
    If the next-hop is up...   assume the server is down.

All that I can say is... this works for me.

Regards,

Gary Boyles             (Intel)