Re: Ruleset for Netview NT 5.1.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Ruleset for Netview NT 5.1.1
From: "Whitehead, Neil" <whitern@RBOS.CO.UK>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 21:33:19 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Todd,

One solution that does not involve writing rule sets and will keep the the
map colours relatively useful. (well it worked for me!)

1) Define and discover a loopback address on all your routers.
2) Unmanage and hide (from all maps) the BRI interfaces on your branch
routers.

The effect of this will be that when the Serial line dies, the Serial0
interface will be marked as down, but the Loopback interface will still be
reachable so will stay green. Your router object will turn yellow - Viola !!
One marginal router marked as "marginal". When the serail line is restored
to service everything will turn green again.

Neil Whitehead (x22808)
IT Services (Telecoms)
The Royal Bank of Scotland
Tel: 0131-523 2808