Re: Ruleset for Netview NT 5.1.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Ruleset for Netview NT 5.1.1
From: Steve Francis <steve.francis@COMMSERV.UCSB.EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 13:41:29 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
A loopback interface is good for the following reasons:
- it is always up, so long as the router is reachable.  Thus it just gives you
an interface to ping on the router that is not tied to a physical interface.
If you serial port goes down, and your BRI port comes up, Netview will still be
able to ping the loopback interface, and report reachability appropriately
(assuiming your routing converges.)

The other good things about loopback interfaces are that Netview will identify
the router by the DNS name assigned to the loopback interface, which means that
SNMP gets/sets/demand polls will work even if a physical intgerface is down.
Otherwise, if Netview knows a node as serial1.organization.com, then if that
interface goes down, all SNMP polls to that
router will fail, even if other interfaces are up and reachable.

Plus, if you use OSPF or BGP, using a loopback interface forces the choice of
the router ID to be the loopback interface.  THis gives you more control and
stability in your routing protocols.