Re: Ruleset for Netview NT 5.1.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Ruleset for Netview NT 5.1.1
From: "Owens, Blaine C" <bowens@EASTMAN.COM>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 08:27:27 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Another observation - if the router also has a LAN interface (Ethernet or
whatever) then the LAN interface is likely to be reachable whether on
primary or ISDN backup. With this in mind it is not always necessary to
define a loopback to achieve the desired results. As others have noted we
also unmanage the BRI interfaces so that the icons reflect "normal" status.
I believe you said that these were Cisco routers. If so, I recommend adding
"snmp-server enable traps isdn" to the configuration. These traps spell out
in plain English ISDN status - much more user friendly as well as
informative for the operations staff than just the BRI up/down traps.

Blaine Owens
Eastman Chemical Company
Phone - (423)-229-3579
Fax - (423)-229-1188