Re: Web Client

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Web Client
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 23:05:25 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Here are some other notes from Support that I've saved....

-  You have to be using some port > 8000. Port 80 is root-only.
-  You have to add permissions thusly:
         chown root /usr/OV/web/httpd/NetViewWebServer
         chmod u+s /usr/OV/web/httpd/NetViewWebServer
-  If you have other applications, like Optivity or Ciscoworks installed,
   the chmod_web_ovw can fail due to the large number of symbols.
   To correct that problem, change lines 42 and 43 of the script:
   Line 42: change  "cd images/symbols"  to  "cd images
   Line 43: change  "chmod a+rw  *"      to  "chmod -R a+rw symbols"
   Then run "chmod_web_ovw  -a" again (-a to enable non-root users
    to start the gui,  "-d" to disable this).
-  You need to enable Netview Security, and use the logins defined
    there when launching the web client (make sure those users have
    authority to run the web client!)

I start the read/write map with the netview command,
there is a line of code in this executable file:

/usr/OV/web/httpd/NetViewWebServer 2>/dev/null
>/dev/null&

This is what starts your web server, be sure it has
the correct permissions and that the line is not
commented out.

Jan