Re: Event Automation in NetView for WindowNT

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Event Automation in NetView for WindowNT
From: Xu He <xuhe@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 09:03:33 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Unfortunate, the web-based paging system we wrote was for a client's
help desk environment, and they own the code.  I can't disclose the
actual code, but the basic concept is fairly simple. Also, after a few
development cycles, the paging scripts have evolved into a paging
software, it contains about 5000 lines of code now.  I didn't really
develop the thing, so I only scratches surface the when it comes to the
whole system.

The system is custom written with TCL (Tool Command Language) scripts
with ODBC, CGI and HTTP extensions.  All three major paging company,
Mobilecomm/skytel/pagenet have a web interface (i.e.
http://www.skytel.com/cgi-bin/page.pl ) to their system, so we
basically wrote scripts to issue the same command to their paging
system as if we were using a web browser, that done through the TCL CGI
and HTTP extensions.   The guy who wrote the code made it extremely
modular, and we can tap in very easily.  All I had to do is issue a
command from the event browser, (sendpage PIN MESSAGE).  The sendpage
will call another script on our local webserver and send the page to
the paging company.

Since trapd.conf allows you to issue commands and scripts, TCL or Perl
scripts are great for doing stuffs like that.  I am kind of new to TCL
and Perl, but i found it pretty easy if you have any scripting or
programming background.  I used TCL and the network management
extensions (called Scotty) to rewrote the NVSTATUSTRAP.bat, now it
doesn't have to resolve all of the names and community string in
OVSNMP.CONF file before it issues the trap.  All of my community
strings are the same.  I hardcoded the community string in the script
and it can get a response back in a second or two.  It's not as fool
proof as the Netview implementation, but it's about 10 times as faster.

I apologize if my answer on the paging system is kind of vague.
Unfortunately, I can only disclose certain information.

Xu He
Network Solutions, Inc.