Re: Changing name node is known by.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Changing name node is known by.
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 10:31:37 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
To force a node to be known by a particular interface you can either:
1) resolve the address it finds naturally to the name you want in DNS
or in /etc/hosts
2) find it by the interface you like by deleting the node and rediscovering
it by that interface (pinging it). If netmon is too fast for you and rediscovers
it on its own by the 'wrong' interface, just put the right interface in the
seedfile
(near the top), stop netmon, delete the node, and restart netmon. I usually
handle this situation by keeping all of the routers in the seedfile by their
loopbacks right from the start.

If you would like this to work differently, send you requirements and reasons
to netview@tivoli.com.

I know this has been discussed before, but I cant find any notes I kept about
it, and its not an FAQ on the Tivoli site.

Running Netview v5 on AIX 4.2.1

How can I make Netview know a node by the name assigned to a loopback
interface, and not the first interface it finds?

OpenView will automatically change the name it knows a node by to the loopback
interface as soon as it finds a loopback interface.  Does the current 5.1.1
Netview do that? (I have not applied patches yet.)

If not, how can I force it (deleting all other interfaces and doing a demand
poll doesnt help: it just adds the other interfaces back and keeps the same
name.)

And also if it doesn't whats the email to request enhancements?

TIA