Re: Does NWays for AIX 1.2.3 work with Netview 5.1.1 ??

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Does NWays for AIX 1.2.3 work with Netview 5.1.1 ??
From: James Kellock <jkelloc@IBM.NET>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 23:30:49 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Gord Michaels wrote:

> Hello All.
>
> Does NWays for AIX 1.2.3 work with Netview 5.1.1 ??
>
> I am running Netview 5.1.1. I installed NWays 1.2.3 (Some of the components
> failed to install but since you pick the components anyway, I think I should
> still ne able to run NWays). After the install, I tried starting Netview and
> it would not come up. The trapd daemon could not start because "UDP port
> already in use" - exit(1). ??
>
> Anyone ever seen anything like this before ??
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Gord.

This happened because you installed the Router & Bridge Manager.  It
automatically installs MLM 2.3.1, which starts up at the end of
/etc/rc.tcpip. If you follow the install instructions, you will add a
R/W community to /etc/snmpd.conf so that the RABM install will turn off
trap reception for the MLM and then not create the port 162 conflict
that caused trapd startup to fail.  Add a R/W community for your Netview
machine's primary IP address, add this to ovsnmp.conf using xnmsnmpconf,
run "refresh -s snmpd", then run /usr/OV/bin/RabmServerInstall to fix
it. Or, uninstall RABM using SMIT, and then comment out the MLM startup
at the end of /etc/rc.tcpip.

After this, kill -9 <pid of midmand process> and run ovstart again, and
all should start OK.