Re: Discovery problems

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Discovery problems
From: James Kellock <jkelloc@IBM.NET>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 23:45:43 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Vince Rosso wrote:

> Vince Rosso@TRANSALTA
> 16/06/99 02:58 PM
>
> It's interesting that it uses that name ARPANET cuz I believe that's the
> governing body of IP.   Also as you may or may not be aware 10.0.0.0 is the
> unrouteable Class A address.    Sorry I don't have an answer to your
> problem ( in fact I have similar problems with mutiple interface servers)

I understand that the following happened in the past several months:
Internet routers and name servers were getting hammered with DNS
resolution packets from firewall and gateway routers that were
incorrectly passing routing requests for 10.*.*.* addresses, and the
Internet powers-that-be reconfigured the Internet DNS server so that
they began sending acknowledgements with hostnames containing a message
aboute reading rfc that ciontains the 10. address definition, hoping
people would notice and somehow fix their firewalls.  As I understand
it, they began getting so many complaints from network management folks
about the wierd hostnames that began showing up that they stopped doing
it.  This may be the cause of your problems.  Or it could be something
else altogether.