Re: events, DNS, and other issues (was nothing)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: events, DNS, and other issues (was nothing)
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 10:37:07 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Please put a subject in your future notes.

A bad setup for DNS will cause NetView fits and slow its performance to a crawl.
If nslookup doesn't work, and you have said you are using name resolution (by
providing /etc/resolv.conf), then NetView will never get things right.  It does
many "gethostbyaddr" and "gethostbyname" calls in every operation.

Yes,  you may use /etc/hosts rather than DNS -- NetView doesn't know or care how
names get resolved, just so long as they do.

If you cannot get your DNS woes fixed, then you should look at creating  a
netsvc.conf file (see the man page for it) which specifies
     hosts = local,bind
That will force name resolution to use /etc/hosts first and DNS second.
     hosts = local
will cause only /etc/hosts to be read

But the absolutely best thing to do is get DNS, or your access to it, fixed.
Once done, you can increase NetView performance, often dramatically, by making
your NetView machine a cache-only name server.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

erika ocaqa <eocana@YAHOO.COM> on 07/09/99 10:16:32 AM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>