Re: SNMP config community name presidence ???

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: SNMP config community name presidence ???
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@TKG.COM>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 07:16:33 +0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
"Jeffrey G. Fitzwater" wrote:

> [...]

> PROBLEM:    After I create a container and set the community string for each
> container,  the system always uses the default.
> But if I do an XNMSNMPCONF -RESOLVE (TARGET) it returns the container
> community name as I would expect.
>
> QUESTION:   Is this the way it works or is it broke or am I setting something
> wrong?

I assume you mean collection for container?

If you run "nvUtil l <container name>", is your node in it?  If not, that's
your problem.

If it is, then try "snmpwalk -d <node> system" to make sure the commuity name
is indeed wrong (the community name used will be in the text that will appear
in the translated packets).  If the community name is not what it should be for
the collection, you have a bug.

--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer@tkg.com
The Kernel Group              | Distributed Systems Management