Re: Patched netmon from TDS network guide

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Patched netmon from TDS network guide
From: Stephan Schwalb <sschwalb@DEBIS.DE>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:28:22 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi Frederic,

when you install the TDS including the NetView guides, the script setupUnixtds
run another
script named initavail. This one generates a file named "availData_init" which
includes all
nodes known by NetView at that moment. This file generates a reference for all

following Node UPs and DOWNs. The columns of that file are:

NODE-Key    IP-Address/Hostname    Timestamp

=> The node-key is used as reference in the DB later, the same with the
timestamp.

The following files "availData_1999xxxx" file then only include all changes of
UP/DOWN. This
is done by using the node-key, a "1" or "-1" for up and down and the related
timestamp.

Here is an example:
889258280 -1 932990035
889258280 1 932990335

(This is a node with node-key 889258280 that went down at timestamp 932990035
and
came back at time 932990335)

This is it in theory, but may be in practice you still may have a problem.
E.g. we are testing
the TDS since several weeks together with oracle DB and found problems with
the ODBC
driver to get that data right into the DB. But there are already some PMRs
/APARs open
against thit so hopefully it will be solved soon.

I hope this helps  !?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / With kind regards / Saludos

Stephan Schwalb

Systems engineer - Networkmanagement
debis - Systemhaus
Tel.: +49 (711)-17-49971