Re: relational database support.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: relational database support.
From: "Ken Garst." <KGarst@GIANTOFMARYLAND.COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:35:00 -0400
Here is a previous answer that I gave that might help:

Ken Garst
06/16/99 11:50 AM

To:   Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView
      <NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu>
cc:   NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu
Subject:  Re: export SNMPcollect data to a RDBMS  (Document link not converted)

This is not as simple as you might think.

First--you must configure NetView and the Tivoli framework to use a relational
database.  You must set up what is called a "RIM server", i.e. RIM=relational
interface module.  The RIM server does not have to be the TMR server nor the
NetView server.  In fact, the Tivoli manuals suggest that all 3 be on separate
hosts.  (However, I have setup all 3 to be on a single host).

Second-You must setup a database server which, again, can be a separate server
from the TMR server/NetView server/RIM server.  In case the database server is a
separate host, you must set up a SQLNET client on the NetView server and RIM
server.  As you can tell, this can get tricky.  (In my case, the combined TMR
server/NetView server/RIM host uses the Oracle dbms and therefore the TNS
listener is installed on this combined server.)

Third--The actual transfer of snmpCollect data is not "automatic" but rather
"snapshot" so that a crontab entry is necessary for updates.  Moreover, all
snmpCollect data goes into the same table in the database which can grow quickly
depending on what you are collecting.

Fourth--The Tivoli framework provides you the SQL query facility at no cost
which is a GUI front-end to coding SQL procedures for queries.  This is a very
slick little tool but does not allow much freedom in SELECT statements.

Fifth--I have open PMRs with Tivoli support on the RIM because the snmpCollect
summary commands do not work because the RIM transfer is not populating the
VARINFO table but is populating the COLDATA table.  It turns out that this was
because the variable being collected was a "calculated" parameter, i.e. disk
utilization, so that the VARINFO table wasn't populated.

(Incidentally, all this is on AIX 4.3.2 RISC/6000s, Tivoli framework 3.6,
NetView 5.1.1 and may or may not apply to NTs).

Regards,
ken
kgarst@giantofmaryland.com