Re: Time of trap generation.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Time of trap generation.
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 21:46:04 -0400
I think you need to clarify this requirement more precisely.
First, are we talking NetView traps or non-NetView traps?   Because you can only
get a timestamp if indeed the agent provides one.  Second, any timestamp you get
is going to be an integer in hundredths of a second.  Is that really what you
want?  Third, the difference between when NetView gets the trap and sends it to
TEC is going to be only a few seconds  or less than when it was generated, if it
is a NetView trap, since those do not go out over the network.  So the date/time
which is already present in the event sent to TEC should be adequate for all
practical purposes.   So what exacttly are you trying to achieve with this DATE
field that is not already provided?

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Kashif Karim <kashif_karim@YAHOO.COM> on 07/30/99 03:15:27 PM