Re: Monitor Disk Status

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Monitor Disk Status
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 15:08:14 -0400
Phat, this is nicely done using MLM and the Agent Policy Manager function
of Netview.

Regarding your submap desires, you should first define a collection that
includes
the servers you want to monitor (Tools...Collection Editor). Don't try to go
down the
road of actually creating your own submaps.

You will need to get the MIB file from the Compaq software CD and put it on the
Netview server (in /usr/OV/snmp-mibs, I think). Then load that file (Options..
Load/Unload MIBS). I think there is more than one mib file. That has been
discussed here before.

Use the MIB Browser to poke around in the MIBs to figure out exactly which
MIB variables give the information you want. There should be one that reports
on each disk. Percent used, percent free, something like that.

See the Admin Guide for Netview for the details on using the APM. You will need
to make sure that MLM is properly installed on the server (there is maintenance
for it on the 5.1.1 CD) and configure the daemon C5d, which is not configured to
start by default.

When you use the APM (Tools..Agent Policy Manager) to create thresholds for
disk utilization (one for C, one for D, etc) and distribute those policies to
the
Collection you defined for the servers, the APM will create an icon for each
policy (ie for each disk) under the icon for each server. These icons change
color automatically when the thresholds are exceeded.  And if new servers
show up in your network that meet the criteria of you target collection, the
policies will automatically be distributed to them as well. Note also that you
MUST use the MLM threshold and rearm traps. These fields are left for you to
fill
in, but if you don't specify these specific traps, the icons won't change color
for you.
Look in Options..Event Customization to see which traps I am talking about.

One tricky part is this: you must make sure that the Collection you defined
for the target systems to be monitored is in the realm of responsibility of the
MLM on the server. Once the MLM is started, there will be a collection defined
automatically defining this realm (like MLM-hostnamedomain or something).
Modify this Collection definition and add a clause that ORs the colleciton
you defined for your target systems.

Note that the target nodes all must have the Compaq agent running on them.
This is an extention to the NT snmp agent. That has been discussed here
before.  And of course you will need the correct read community string.

Note on creating your Collection of target nodes: you might have trouble coming
up with the criteria, since the SNMP sysObjectid will probably just indicate NT,
and not Compaq and not whether it is a server or not. Ideally you can come up
with something, perhaps the naming convention, or addressing scheme, that will
allow servers to be added dynamically. Worst case you will have to use the list
form of the Collection definition, and then you will have to administer that
definition as new servers go online.

I have NetView v5.1.1 on AIX and want to monitor disks space on Compaq
servers.   For example in NetView,

   I want to a create a submap that contains Computer/PC subclass icons of
   all the Compaq servers running Windows NT.
   Then in this submap, a child submap will  be created for each server
   that contains its internal disks (i.e. C, D, or E drive).
   After all these got created, I want to monitor each server disk space
   utilization using MLM to check for thresholds.
   If the disk space reached beyond a certain threshold, NetView would turn
   the icon from green to  yellow or red and vice versa.

Has anyone done this kind of monitoring in your environment?

I know that Compaq Insight Manager could do this task but I want to
monitoring it through Netview.  Thanks.

Phat