Re: Netview AUto-Discovery for DHCP devices

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview AUto-Discovery for DHCP devices
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 23:05:22 -0400
You are expecting the wildcard in the seedfile to force discovery of
the addresses it represents. This is not how it works. That wildcard, or
a range, acts as a filter that ALLOWs discovery of nodes it hears from.
They would show up eventually. You could run a script that pings them
and they will show up fast. Or you can put the addresses in the seedfile
explicitly and netmon will ping them for you, forcing discovery.

Netview for NT is very different in the discovery department. It has less
ability to control discovery, but it does have that 'ping-spray' function
which does the exact same thing as running a script to ping all addresses.
That function is not available on Netview for AIX.

Read more about it in: the man page for netmon; the Help button on the
netmon configuration dialog on the Tivoli Desktop context menu for
netmon; the online manuals.

Hello!,

  Would somebody can tell me how to configure Netview-AIXsystem can auto
discover all DHCP devices?

   I also try to configure seedfile with wildcard format(e.g. 192.168.2.*)
, then except Netview-AIX can auto discover
   for this subnet all DHCP devices, but the result is bad, nothing get to
discover except I put  exactly IP address
   into seedfile. and I also try the same approach in Netview-NT, then I
got all DHCP devices automatically with
   system default setting(autodisciver all network objects), is this
Netview-AIX system limitation? or there are
   some system setting should do. Thanks!

Michael Tsai
   ITAP-SSR-RS/6000 & AIX,
   Availability Service
IBM Taiwan Corporation,
   206, Sec. 1, Keelung Rd., Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.
   Tel: 886-2-7259365,  Fax: 886-2-7201499
   Notes ID: MICTSAI/Taiwan/IBM,  Internet ID: mictsai@tw.ibm.com