Re: How to configure datacollection for SNMPv1/SNMPv2 MIB objects ?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: How to configure datacollection for SNMPv1/SNMPv2 MIB objects ?
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 12:24:27 -0400
Well, the short answer to your question is that you cannot get the configuration
tool for snmpCollect (it's called "xnmcollect" because that's how you can invoke
it from the command line" to use any browser but the V1 version.  This is a case
of "arrested development".  xnmcollect knows only about the V1 browser and
that's that.  The code would have to be changed internally to use the other one.
And that would mean that snmpCollect would need code added to handle all the new
SNMP V2 data types, like Counter32, Gauge32, and so on.   But if the MIB
variable that you want to collect  is a simple one, then there may be an
alternative.

You could manually edit the snmpCol.conf file in /usr/OV/conf and put what you
want in there.  snmpCollect does not use the browser to actually gather the
data, only to configure what is gathered.  So as long as the data type is of the
sort he can already support, you should be OK an the collection.  At least I
think so.  I must admit that I have not tried this and it is not officially
supported whether it works or not.

If you want to try it, then ovstop snmpCollect first and make a backup copy of
snmpCol.conf before you edit it, just in case something goes wrong.

Good luck

PS:  I don't know when or if this will be changed.  If you want to tell
development that you think it should be included in a future release, then you
can send a note to netview@tivoli.com and explain why you need this function.
Or, if you want it formally considered, with a formal reply back, then call
Support and tell them you have a request to make to development.  They have a
tool to do that.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Bernard Disselborg <bdisselb@TRIPLE-P.NL> on 09/01/99 03:54:52 PM