Re: Reality check requested

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Reality check requested
From: Sean Aaron <sean.aaron@UCOP.EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 10:31:44 -0700
James Shanks wrote:

> No they are not equivalent.  The traps you sent use the NetView Enterprise Id
> --
> Interface Down and Node Down are NetView traps.  That's what your ruleset
> should
> being using.  You are not going to get any generic enterprise traps from
> NetView, or from Sun.   They will use their actual Enterprise Id.
>
> James Shanks
> Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

I don't understand.  Are you saying I should be using the netView6000
traps for node down or link down, or are you saying that I should create
traps specifically for the Sun oid that matches the host in question?

I tried using the netView6000 traps, but when I try testing with the
traps listed in "diagnose->send event to trap daemon" I still get no
e-mail to my pager.  If it's a matter of having a matching
enterprise/trap collection, why wouldn't my loading the sun.mib and
snmpdx.mib add the traps?  Do I need to use mib2trap to create a Sun
enterprise entry?

--
Sean Aaron
UNIX System Administrator