Reality check requested

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Reality check requested
From: Sean Aaron <sean.aaron@UCOP.EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 16:55:58 -0700
Since I can't figure out how to use SIA in a ruleset, I'm at least
trying to configure a ruleset that will page me if a given machine goes
down, and I've been unable to successfully test it, so I need to know if
I'm on the right track.

I've established the following:

An event stream connected to a trap setting connected to an event
attribute connected to an action.

The event stream is set to block (I want this to execute automatically).

The trap setting I used was ENTERPRISES (since there are no Sun-specific
traps) -> ENTERPRISE2 (Link Down) and Comparison Type is Equal To.

The Event Attribute set is Origin Equal To [fully qualified hostname].

The Action is:  /usr/bin/mailx -s "[hostname] is down!" [my pager's
e-mail address]

I've added the ruleset, [ruleset name].rs to the
/usr/OV/conf/ESE.automation file as indicated in the Administrator's
Guide and I verified that mail sent to the pager's e-mail address
results in a text page.  I can't really take the machine down to test
this, but I did try generating a trap by using Diagnose-> Send event to
trapd daemon...

I tried sending the following traps:  NDWN_EV 0058916865 3 Node Down and
IDWN_EV 0058916867 3 Interface Down, but neither one generated a
page...are these not equivalent to the ENTERPRISE Link Down?  Am I not
doing this right?

Help!

--
Sean Aaron