Re: interface cards with wrong status in collections submaps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: interface cards with wrong status in collections submaps
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 23:42:35 -0400
Well, here's one way you can cause this problem we have been discussing
lately. It often happens when people are new to netview that they will drill
down on a device, see the interface cards, and then drill down on the card
to see what's there. What's there is nothing, and you get the dialog that asks
if you want to create a child submap. If you say OK instead of Cancel, you have
just created a child submap with nothing in it. The most significant result of
this is that the status source for this symbol for the interface card was just
changed
from Object.... to Compound Progagate.  And with nothing in the child submap,
a status  source of Compound Propagate results in an unknown status. I am
revisiting a customer that I installed a few weeks ago and found a few of these
mysterious blue interfaces in Collections. Deleting the child submap clears it
up.