Re: Cisco Router Ruleset...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Cisco Router Ruleset...
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber@USAA.COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 14:54:47 -0500
Cisco routers do not send very many traps, but there are literally hundreds
of syslog messages that you may want to consider.

Some other traps to consider:
        Cold start
        Link down/up
        reload (enterprise specific #0)

You can also process the syslog messages in your ruleset(s) if you configure
the routers to generate a trap for a syslog message.  All syslog messages
will be sent to NetView as enterprise specific trap #1 under the enterprise
1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.41.2, which is the ciscoSyslogMIBNotification enterprise.
Your ruleset will basically have to parse each trap to determine what the
syslog message is, and then take the appropriate actions.  We have some
rulesets that do the parsing, and then use the snmptrap command to generate
"user-defined" traps with more meaningful message text.  We have added a
bunch of traps to NetView's event configuration using our own enterprise ID.
The user-defined traps can be viewed in the Event Log, and also forwarded to
TEC for additional correlation, and other actions.