Re: nvserverd hangs

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: nvserverd hangs
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:32:20 -0400
I am not aware of any nvserverd problems on Solaris.

So, how do you know it is hung?  What symptoms led you to this conclusion,
since nvserverd typically produces no output you
can see?  And what kinds of  things are you doing with it?  TEC  Forwarding?
If so, are you going to a TEC console on an NT
machine?  Other rulesets?  What do they do?

Daemon problems of this sort are generally not diagnosable by the user.  We
have a tool called gdbprof, which is just a
script to run the gdb  executable, that attaches to a running process and
prints the call stack, so we can see what the
daemon is doing, but it won't be much use to you without the source code.  So
typically you would have to call Support.  Is
there some reason why you cannot put on 5.1.1 or  even 5.1.2?  That will be the
first recommendation.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Kashif Karim <kashif_karim@YAHOO.COM> on 09/14/99 03:13:41 PM