Re: Network Monitoring

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Network Monitoring
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber@USAA.COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 08:02:21 -0500
For Cisco devices, we have found that the CiscoView application is the best
tool for real-time performance monitoring.  You can purchase it as a
"standalone" product.  It also is bundled with the CiscoWorks 2000 Campus
suite.  It has its own graphical monitoring for ports, and it also can
launch the NetView grapher.

I started CiscoView on one of our Cat5500s, and it uses the same MIB objects
that Leslie mentioned for port utilization on both ATM and 10/100 Ethernet
ports.  If you use the embedded RMON agent in the switch, then you could
also use the etherStats MIB objects, which are etherStatsOctets and
etherStatsDataSource.  It's not easy to use these MIBs, though.  The
interfaces are not indexed the same as they are with the ifInOctets MIB.
You need to "cross-reference" the index numbers with the
etherStatsDataSource MIB object.  That MIB contains the value of the ifIndex
MIB.