Re: Network Monitoring

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Network Monitoring
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 01:08:08 -0400
There are vendor-specific applications that you can buy, of course, but if
the agent on the device knows the answer, you can ask the questions with
the Data Collection and Thresholding function (snmpCollect). You need to
walk the MIBs of the device and see what it can tell you. Also see the
file /usr/OV/conf/mibExpr.conf. In this file you can define expressions (see
the Admin Guide for more information) that combine mib variables. For
instance, for full-duplex interfaces, interface utilization is
(ifInOctets + ifOutOctets) * 8 * 100 / ifSpeed
Netview will do the subtraction for you to account for the time interval.
Read up on the mib.coerce file as well.

I leave it to someone else to guide you to the mib variables for the
traffic on the switch ports. But I would start by loading all of the MIBs
available for the devices in question and checking them out with the
MIB Browser.  Those canned graphical applications are only the
beginning.

Hello all,
I've been asked if netview ( v 5 on aix 4.2 ) has a monitoring features
such as utilization etc. I know there some grafical feature but i
couldn't find what i want.
we have several Cisco Catalyst (5500 and 1900) switches and 3 Bay
routers ( 1 asn and 2 an ).
How can i measure the utilization per a switch port and a wan router
interface ?

Greetings, Oren.