Re: CISCO CIP Monitoring

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: CISCO CIP Monitoring
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:46:20 -0400
I think I just set that up for a customer. They wanted to monitor the status
of a couple of interfaces that matched that description - not IP, but they
do appear in the MIB II Interface table. They have an ifOperStatus that
you can monitor via SNMP. I used the Agent Policy Manager front-end
to MLM on the Netview server, and set up thresholds for the ifOperStatus
variables - >1 is bad, = 1 is the rearm. This facility then added objects
for me to represent those interfaces and they turn red when the router
reports that they are down. You need to know the index number of the
interfaces you want to monitor.

Configuring the APM for the first time is confusing but it is well worth the
effort in my opinion. You get grahics and traps and don't write any code.

We need to monitor the PU state(on CIP)  and channel state for our CISCO
Router CIP cards, providing 3270 access for our network.
I was wondering if anyone has done this, and how they have implemented ths
type of monitoring?  That is what channel MIBS did you look at, and how they
set up the monitoring function.
thx,art