Router Serial Interfaces

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Router Serial Interfaces
From: Abdur Rehman I Mamsa <aimamsa@NOTES.WEST.RAYTHEON.COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:14:49 -0700
How can you prevent the following behavior in NetView?

In our NetView configuration we have noticed that devices are sometimes
rediscovered (by autodiscovery) using the nodename of one of the serial
interface nodenames for that device.  For example, a router in Los Angeles
(known by "labcn1") may be rediscovered and labeled as "labcn1dcbcn1".  As a
result, the device already in the NetView database (which is associated with the
correct nodename, "labcn1") is removed and replaced with the "newly discovered"
device.  This new device is placed in the new node area at the bottom of the IP
Internet submap.  Basically, some of our routers are being renamed with their
serial interface nodenames by NetView.

More importantly how can this be fixed?

(We are using NetView ver 4.1 on AIX.)

Thanks in advance!