Re: Send events to T/EC

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Send events to T/EC
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 08:36:32 -0400
The tecad_nv6k daemon was invented by Tivoli and shipped as part of the TEC
product BEFORE Tivoli was acquired by IBM.  It provides an alternative, though
much more difficult to configure, method of sending events to TEC.   The
internal TEC adapter, which is part of NetView's nvserverd daemon, was added
into NetView V4.1.2  AFTER the Tivoli merger because customers had complained
that the tecad_nv6k daemon was too hard to understand and configure.  But the
TEC product still ships tecad_nv6k for those customers who want to use it or are
used to it.   And the tecad_nv6k adapter is the only one available for NetView
NT (since it does not have nvserverd).

So yes, if you implement them both on the same box, with the same destination,
then you will be sending some events twice, and others may be sent by one daemon
and not by the other.   You can do this if you like, and in fact, I have
recommended it to one customer who wanted to send one set of events to one TEC
server and another set to another TEC server in an unconnected TMR (don't ask me
why).   But other than that, I would pick jut one method, and for the new user,
the internal mechanism is easier to use.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Roberto Greco <roberto_greco@IT.IBM.COM> on 10/15/99 06:36:50 AM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>