Re: FW: Some Questions about network device 's trap

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: FW: Some Questions about network device 's trap
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 08:07:12 -0400
1.  Correct.  NetView does nothing with traps from other devices generally.   It
relies on pings and SNMP get.  That is why setting your SNMP Configuration is so
important. Things that NetView monitors (interfaces, nodes, etc)  change status
on the map because netmon tells ovtopmd to change it.  In general, base NetView
would work just fine even if no other agents in the network sent any traps.
This is particularly true in NT.   You can use agent traps to change the status
of items you have added to the map (things that NetView does not monitor)  on
UNIX but not on NT.

2.  I believe you have this backwards.  MLMs send their traps to NetView.
NetView does not send any back that I am aware of.   If you want traps to go to
the MLM, you can do that, and it can in turn send them on to NetView , and even
filter which traps get forwarded.  Many folks make use of the trap filtering
capability of MLM to keep unwanted traps out of the NetView box.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Sin Wai Yee, Maggie" <mwysin@KCRC.COM> on 10/27/99 05:04:37 AM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>