Re: FW: Some Questions about network device 's trap

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: FW: Some Questions about network device 's trap
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 08:07:27 -0400
1.  In NetView for UNIX you can configure any agent trap (not a NetView trap) to
be a different category and with a different status value than when it was first
added to trapd.conf.  If you make an agent trap a Status Event and specify a
status other than Default Status, then as long as the Event Window is open by
the GUI with the read-write map, nvevents will change the status of the host
which sent that trap on the map.   This is NOT recommended for objects which
netmon monitors because while the map status/color is changed, the object and
topology databases are not, and netmon will ignore whatever you have done in
this regard.  He will continue to ping and status poll as if nothing has
happened and will issue his traps and change status appropriately.  This primary
use of this is so that you can add your own objects to the map and control them
when netmon doesn't.  You should not be using traps like Cisco's link down to
change the status on your router, for example.

2. Attended MLM is something I know nothing about.  In other situations, as I
explained, NetView does not forward traps to MLMs at all, but they forward to
him.   I suspect that attended MLMs may be different, because in NT, trapd
cannot forward events to other boxes.  The trapfrwd daemon does that.  So it
would make sense that an attended MLM (which is netmon and midmand working
together in the same NT box) would use MLM's trap forwarding capability.  But I
don't know how it works nor do I know if what you are seeing is normal or not.

Perhaps someone else with experience with attended MLMs can answer your question
if you put it in those terms

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Sin Wai Yee, Maggie" <mwysin@KCRC.COM> on 10/27/99 09:54:27 PM